[En-Nut-Discussion] UART registration problem

Alexander Baranov Baranov at intech21.com
Wed Dec 18 21:13:43 CET 2002

Hello,
I want to use the Ethernut board without Ethernet application. I have to
acquire some data through port B and send it to UART. When I tried to
register the uart as follows ( I have deliberately simplified it):

THREAD(NutMain, arg)
{
    u_long baud = 9600;
    NutRegisterDevice(&devUart0, 0, 0);
    uart = NutDeviceOpen("uart0");
    NutDeviceIOCtl(uart, UART_SETSPEED, &baud);
    for(;;) {
    }
}

the compiler reported about error in uartavr.o - reference to undefined
functions NutEventPostAsync and NutEventWait.
I solved the problem by adding Ethernet device registration:

     NutRegisterDevice(&devEth0, 0x8300, 5);
     NutNetIfConfig("eth0", my_mac, inet_addr(MY_IP), inet_addr(MY_MASK));

Is it really so, that I must register Ethernet device if I do not need it or
I had done something wrong?
Thanks,

Alexander Baranov
Intech21, Inc.