[En-Nut-Discussion] some questions (OT)

Jochen Beck JBeck at ten-haaft.de
Fri Nov 8 19:59:02 CET 2002

> On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 10:18:07AM -0800, Austin Schutz wrote:

> By the way, the 8019 also supports a "plug and play" id which can
> be stored in eeprom. That's something completely different which
can
> be used to tell if a device at a certain address is an 8019 and
not
> some other kind of device if it's inside a PC. Ethernut doesn't
use
> or need it because the device at 0x8300 is always hardwired to be
the
> 8019. Maybe some day when the Ethernut supports removable ISA
cards
> like http://www.ethernut.de/en/isa/index.html it will use the PnP
ID
> capability. :-)

Well, one problem is to get the used ISA-card _out_ of the PNP mode
into a 'static' configuration mode without making hardware tweaks to
that card, as the RTL8019 isn't hardwired to 0x_300 in this case.
I made some simple code to do that job when building up that ISA
based Ethernut. Hope I can find some time over the weekend to finish
that, so Harald can add it to that page.

(For Ethernut operation only the first two words in the EEPROM are
needed. The next 3 words contain the MAC address, but they will be
overwritten volatile by Ethernut during card init.)

Jochen

Btw: Harald, one of the pictures at www.ethernut.de/en/isa/ fails to
load.