[En-Nut-Discussion] SRAM speed

Alastair Jeremy (E-mail) ethernut at dotaussie.com.au
Fri Sep 13 01:13:13 CEST 2002

I agree with (1) regarding IC's available in industrial temperature ranges.
Although once you are in those sort of applications, you probably also
should be considering things such as CE mark, FCC & UL issues. I am NOT
actually suggesting that the Ethernut should be listed, but just try to
avoid a design feature that would preclude an Ethernut-based device from
ever being able to gain listing. On this topic I must profess that I am no
expert! So please, if anyone has any pointers, please let me know (ie... how
DO you design to meet these requirements?).

Also agree with (2), and looking at the OS structure, it would appear that
such drivers should be reasonably easy to slot in (although I'm sure Harald
would know more here). Also, Harald, you mentioned that you had previously
considered the 8900, but chose to go with another chip because of presumed
interrupt problems. I also previously investigated the 8900, and I assume
you are talking about the datasheet which says interrupts don't work in
8-bit mode (which is pretty much a killer if you want performance, since you
would need to poll the ethernet chip - ouch!). I have seen unofficial
suggestions that the interrupts _do_ actually work in 8 bit mode - do you
know what the reality is?  I think 10/100 (in a different chip entirely) is
a great idea, provided it is not too expensive.

I have never built a DMA circuit myself, but I was of the impression that it
would push the design requirements towards a FPGA, rather than a CPLD? Or
maybe I have been looking at the 'dumb' end of CPLDs.

Since you obviously have a fair bit of experience with the CPLD's, I have a
few more questions there too, but I will wait until I have them in a more
structured order...

Regards,

Alastair