[En-Nut-Discussion] gcc, large programs, corrupted variable or memory space? :( --> :)

Jelle Kok jmkok at youcom.nl
Wed Apr 23 11:55:19 CEST 2003

As far as I can see those strings (as defined by Brett) are both stored in
sram and not in flash memory as you wanted. Can anyone verify this ?

What I looked for was the following lines in the map file: (the file where
the strings are defined is named client.c)
.progmem.data  0x00000570      0x1f1 client.o
.data          0x0080022c      0x339 client.o

When inserting the strings in the existing listing, I only saw the ".data"
entry grow. The ".progmem.data" line didn't change at all.

Jelle Kok

void test (void) {
 // takes 10 bytes of sram memory
 puts("A12345678");

 // takes 10 bytes of flash memory
 puts_P(PSTR("c12345678"));

 // takes 20 bytes of sram memory (and not flash as wanted)
 static char *states1[] = { "String1", "String2" };

 // takes 20 bytes of sram memory (and not flash as wanted)
 static prog_char *states2[] = { "String3", "String4" };
}