[En-Nut-Discussion] problems with "lowcost-ethernut"

Gunthard Reinkensmeier g.re at gmx.de
Thu Aug 7 10:28:53 CEST 2003

Hi Harald, Hi List-members,

I have some ideas for ethernut-projects. I decided to start with the
"Lowcost-Ethernut" using an ATMega128 board and a Realtek8019-ISA-NIC. So I
heated up my soldering iron...
After wiring I connected my hardware with Power, serial PC-Port and
ethernet.
The ATMega board was shipped with a serial bootloader, so I could flash
Basemon over the serial connection.

Basemon found SRAM and NIC, then I configured the network parameters with
the serial connection. Ethernut started a http-server.

After that I could ping my ethernut with 30-40 ms response time. Access to
the http-Server was not possible.
I wondered why the the ISA IRQ2 is connected to ATMega PE5/INT5; My NIC is
configured to IRQ 5! I connected ISA IRQ5 with ATMega PE5INT5; Now I had 1
ms response times. Http-access was still not possible. After some hours of
testing several .hex-files (basemon, webport, httpserv) I could load the
index.html from httpserv one time- and very slow.
If I ping the ethernut and point my browser to the Nut's index.html, the
ping responses stop.
I think that my hardware runs too slow; Can anybody help to solve this
problem? Is there any program to check the board speed?
Could any fuses in the ATMega be responsible for my problems? I don't have a
parallel programming interface to check it...

At last, you should add some words to the "lowcost-ethernut" doc. Most of
the ISA-NICS come pnp-enabled; I think that it is important to switch pnp
off and set the correct IRQ, isn't it?

Thank you for publishing Nut/OS for free.

Gunthard Reinkensmeier
Potsdam, Germany