[En-Nut-Discussion] SPI Flash Interface to Ethernut

Erik Lins erik at lins.de
Wed Aug 13 11:53:10 CEST 2003

> It's too early to release the schematics of the module. May be
> Erik Lins can provide some infos. But there's really nothing
> special with the SPI mem.

There is really nothing special with SPI flash memories. I connected
the three SPI Signals and used some IO-pin for chipselect (I used PF0
since I thought it's better to abandon an analog input, than some
digital signal with more sophisticated timer, pwm, int, etc. funktion)
and /RESET is connected in parallel to the AVR controller. I did not
connect the RDY/BSY signal, since I didn't want to provide (wsste?) an
additional IO-pin. The RDY/BSY status is also available in the internal
status register and can be read via SPI at any time. Of course,
connecting this signal to some interrupt would make write routines a
bit more comfortable, but since page erase and programming time is up
to 20msec, it's not a too big drawback to poll the status of this bit
let's say every millisecond or every tenth millisecond. The write
protect pin was connected directly to vcc in my application, but it can
be left open, because it's pulled up internally.

The only filesystem/driver I know is uC/OS, which has a FAT filesystem
for use with SD-Card or SPI flash devices, but it's not GPLed.

Cheers,
ER!K