[En-Nut-Discussion] CVS Commits

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Thu Dec 18 20:14:24 CET 2003

>The amount of data required is totally deterministic and regular.  So you
>could have a  timer interrupt that refills it at regular intervals (when
>it's about half empty).  Then the main thread can just keep a buffer fill
>for the timer to send out to the decoder. Seems like it decouples it well.

I disagree seldom with your views, but I do here. :-)
You are not considering variable bitrate streams, which
are quite common for high quality.

>I did a mp3 player with a mega103 and a STA019 a few years back.  My
>conclusion was that if I was to do it again (with an AVR) I would just use
>a  cheap sram and a CPLD to  feed the decoder, so I could write to it
>parallel and have a big deep fifo.  $3 worth of hardware makes the whole
>job simple.  Of course I was running slower and the max SPI speed was less
>in terms of clock cycles than it is with the 128.

Why use extra hardware, if you can do it in software?
But taking into account, that the CPLD can replace the
address latch and possibly other hardware too, you are
right.