[En-Nut-Discussion] Devices and Message Queues

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Tue Feb 4 20:57:27 CET 2003

An email from a user reminded me of some weird ideas I had
recently. I'd like to discuss them here.

When creating the stdio lib, I came to the conclusion, that
doing something like UNIX is not really a good idea. With
UNIX, devices are special entries in a filesytem. Without
filesystem, no devices. And the filesystem itself is located
on a device. Mind boggling. In that sense, old DOS (RSX-11) was
smarter when using the drive letter as a device identifier. So I
decided to use the same strategy for Nut/OS.

_open("uart0") opens the uart0 device.
_open("fat0") opens the fat0 device.
_open("fat0:test") opens the file test on device fat0.

Furthermore I think, that the often asked message queues
are actually devices. You can write to them and read from
them what has been written.

Contrary opinions are most welcome.