[En-Nut-Discussion] UART_MF_NOBUFFER

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Tue Jul 1 19:01:14 CEST 2003

Hi Mike,

I welcome your decision to move to version 3 and expect
many complains about what I have done to your PPP code.
Sorry in advance. :-)

You are right, there's indeed no way to modifiy the
buffer mode.

#define _IOFBF	    0x00
#define _IOLBF	    0x01
#define _IONBF	    0x02

are already defined in stdio.h. But there's no corresponding
setvbuf() or ioctrl-code. The reason for this? I guess, I simply
didn't implement it after I found out that I didn't need it.
But I agree, that it should be implemented. To do it right,
it may also support variable buffers. No problem in general,
but we need to take care about people still running ATmega103
boards with 3.6 MHz only. Should we split the UART driver
into a low cost and a full featured version?

That reminds me of another issue, being able to set hardware
handshake...sigh.