Subject: Re: [En-Nut-Discussion] CLOSE-WAIT Status TCP sockets

David Kanceruk david.kanceruk at shaw.ca
Tue Jul 22 14:50:46 CEST 2003

Ralph, Harold,

      I looked at this problem once and concluded that the socket could
be left in the CLOSE-WAIT state if the remote system sent a RESET
instead of the usual FIN-ACK sequence to close the connection. (You
might be surprised at how often some "big name" embedded systems use
this technique.) I was thinking that a time-out may be needed to close
it, but I did not look into the consequences for the application. Now
that I think about again, it would be no different than the remote
system initiating the CLOSE, so the effect should be the same, IMHO.

Dave