[En-Nut-Discussion] DHCP and four Ethernuts, IP conflict

chromy at asix.cz chromy at asix.cz
Tue May 6 10:49:28 CEST 2003

> I have had some problem getting the NUT DHCP to work properly with a Linux
> machine. Do you thing that the acceptance of the unicast UDP datagrams may
> solve this problem?

Yes, it will.

NUT DHCP can also work with Linux DHCP server as it is, if the server is
configured to use broadcasts. Just put "always-broadcast on;" in proper
section of /etc/dhcpd.conf (unpatched NutNet is not able to receive
unicast
until ip address is configured). But due to already mentioned problem with
xid (it is not random in fact), this is not much reliable.

> I plan to try to implement some random value alg. using the MAC and the
> timer for generating the xid. Is the xid parameter supposed to be unique
> for each device and then repeat this value each time or is it supposed to
> be unique for each request made?

I suggest reading the RFC.

Pavel