[En-Nut-Discussion] PPP Debugging Software

Ahmad EL Hakim ahakim at link.net
Thu May 8 12:53:42 CEST 2003

First time to list.

I am e-mailing regarding the above subject. I need to read the PPP packets
on my dialup modem as I have problems with my connection (always gives an
error while registering the computer after modem negotiation). I am
suspecting errors in the LCP or IPCP, so I need to monitor the PPP packets.
I have found on the list the below mail, so can Louis send us the steps to
capture the PPP packets and the app he mentioned in his e-mail

Best Regards,
Ahmad EL Hakim

--------Original Mail From The List -----------

Sun, 19 Jan 2003 14:58:32 -0800 (PST)

Hi Mike,

I would love to get that serial port monitor program.

I played around with Ethereal, and made a function to print out received PPP
data to the debug port.  There's an app to convert raw data to the form
Ethereal understands.  It's not as streamlined as it could be, but takes
less than 30 seconds to do.  I'll make a short list of steps and post it to
the list later.

Thanks,

Louis

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, Mike Cornelius wrote:

> Hi Louis,
>
> My method of debuging the PPP driver has been as follows :-
>
> 1/ I have a windows app that uses 2 serial ports to monitor the data going
> between the modem  and my hardware. I would be happy to forward this to
you
> if you are interested. (Or anyone else who might be interested).
> It does not decode packets but instead just shows raw data.
> PPP Negotiation packets tend to be relativly small and easy enough to
> manually decode.
>
> 2/ Plenty of debug statements in the driver.
>
> I have made some improvements to the PPP stack since the last release and
> now have it working with regular dial-up as well as GPRS.
>
> I am planning to do a little more work on it again this week and should be
> able to provide a new snap-shot in the next few days.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike Cornelius

PPP