[En-Nut-Discussion] Ethernut 3.3.0 - couple of issues

kjankow at o2.pl kjankow at o2.pl
Tue Oct 21 13:24:00 CEST 2003

Hi,
I'm pretty new to NutOS, but I was following this project since a
while. First of all I'd like to say that this is really good
project, and it's idea solves the old issue of fitting TCP/IP stack
into small, embedded device. I also like Linux style directories /
system partitioning.

I've build my custom board around ATmega128 + 32kB RAM (62256) +
RTL8019AS + CPLD. CPLD (MAX7064S) contains addres latch and some
board specific glue logic. CPU clock is 14.7456 MHz. Code has been
compiled with latest WinAVR (20030913), and PonyProg2000 is my
programming sw.

I've just subscribed to this mailing list, but I've read the
historical posts and I'd like to confirm some of issues seen by
other users:

1) "httpd" example doesn't work stable
   it prints a strange characters on terminal (packet's contents ?),
   and seems to reset every while (NutOS version appears on terminal
   every while - watchdog?). I've added a couple of printf()
   statements and it looks like httpd app hangs in a random places:
   sometimes it finishes a main routine - registers all cgi
   functions, and sometimes it hungs just after creating e.g. 2nd
   service thread.

2) "rs232d" example can't establish a TCP connection with host
   (here W2k). Nut sends FIN, just after host finished 3 way TCP
   handshaking, see attached picture of packets captured by Ethereal
   (sorry for attaching an image, but I couldn't find a way of
   saving text from Ethereal - I tried to make it as small as
   possible). "192.168.0.1" is a W2K host, "192.168.0.5" is board
   running NutOS.

3) Ethereal complains about some unknown DHCP Message Type (0x53)
   - DHCP packet is being built incorrectly. According to RFC2132
   message format shall be as follows (3 bytes): Code, Len, Type
   i.e. 0x53, 0x01, 0x03 (DHCPREQUEST option)
   Ethereal captures DHCP message until 0x53 and then zeroes...

4) "portdio" when removed NutDhcpIfConfig() failed to make -
   complaining about missing NutEventPostAsync()

I hope some of you encountered a similar issues, if not then
this is strictly related to my board.

What could cause these: different HW (I followed rev 1.3
schematics) - SRAM timings, different WinAVR release ?

Any help appreciated,
Krzysztof