[En-Nut-Discussion] Pausing PPP to interogate a GPRS modem

Brett Abbott Brett.Abbott at digital-telemetry.com
Wed Sep 24 04:13:49 CEST 2003

Mike,  Thanks for your reply - very helpful.

Further on the interrogation of a GPRS modem.  Be aware that most modems allow a more elegant (and speedy) means of executing commands whilst in a call (both PPP and data call).  (ie. to check Signal Strength, issue AT commands, perhaps change pin numbers etc whilst still in a session).

There is an AT config command which allows you to switch between command (issue AT commands) and Data Mode (assuming you are in a PPP session for GPRS or data call for GSM) using the DTR signal line.  When this mode is set prior to the connection, you can raise/lower DTR to go between modes - This effectively avoids the 1 second delay whilst the +++ escape sequence takes hold and gives some certainty to the call mode - always a bit dodgy when you have multiple reasons why +++ wont work.

Ive tested this method (ie. pausing PPP session to execute commands) on several modems with success from a PC, however not from Ethernut yet but expect no issues.

Cheers and Thanks
Brett

Message: 5