[En-Nut-Discussion] Some questions about the Expansion Port

Patrick Stadelmann Patrick.Stadelmann at unine.ch
Tue Apr 6 19:12:02 CEST 2004

Hi,

First of all, congratulations for this very interesting project !

I'm evaluating the Ethernut 2 board as a mean to add Ethernet connectivity to
a FPGA-based demonstrator. Currently, we communicate with the demonstrator
via a PC and a USB connexion. The goal would be to use Ethernet instead.

According to the Hardware Manual, the Expansion Port can be used to connect
Ethernut to an external device equipped with it's own processor.

I have several questions about the Ethernut and the Expansion Port :

  - Where can I find the specs (timing...) for the Expansion Port digital IO ports ?
  - Can I access the Ethernut SRAM through the Expansion Port (ie can I have
    a DMA on the external device to read / write the SRAM) or do I need the
    ATmega to read / write data on the Expansion Port.
  - In both cases, what would be the throughput ? I need to transfer quite a
    lot of data from the LAN to my demonstrator (image processing).

If some of these answers are available on your web site, please just let me know
where. I think I've looked everywhere, but I might have missed some documentation.

Thank you very much,

Patrick
--
Patrick Stadelmann <Patrick.Stadelmann at unine.ch>