[En-Nut-Discussion] Nut/OS Configurator Preview 2

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Fri Aug 20 17:07:23 CEST 2004

Hi all,

with big steps the Nut/OS configuration tool is moving toward its
first release. Because of this I need to make some structural
changes to the source code, mainly moving several configuration
items to include/cfg and include/cfg/arch and updating the related
sources to use these. In addition some changes have to be
applied to the Makefiles. Last not least I'll heavily change the
Lua scripts, please do not touch them right now. I'll regularly
commit my changes.

I'd like to ask everyone, who is currently working on changes or
extension, to check them in as soon as possible, even if they
are not finished yet or not working reliable. I can disable them
in the configurator, if they fail to work here.

A new preview binary for Linux/GTK and Win32 is available at
http://www.ethernut.de/en/nutconf/index.html

Those of you, who already played with the first preview, may
have noticed, that I started to divide source and build
directories. Advantages are

1. Multiple source and build versions can be used concurrently.
2. The source trees are left untouched.

The currently used make procedure in the source tree itself will
be still supported for some time and serve as a fallback in case
of configuration tool problems.

I expect to have most work done until Monday. We may then discuss
the time frame for the next major release. Because of the new
multi platform support, I'd vote to create branch 4.0 and move
on with CVS HEAD as 4.1.

Any objections?