[En-Nut-Discussion] PPP deamon / routing

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Thu Dec 16 14:36:11 CET 2004

Ole,

Actually PPP is most simple. ;-) Everything is packed into
asynchronous HDLC telegrams. Session establishment is quite
funny and divided into three main parts:

1) LCP to negotiate the link
2) Authentication
3) IPCP to negotiate IP settings

...ECP and CCP are not really required.

In each part both(!) partners send a request with options
they wish to use. Each request is answered with options
accepted or alternate options. This request/response game
is repeated until they match. Then negotiation steps up
to the next part. If finally IPCP matches, we are done.
That's all. The rest is simply IP packed into HDLC.

dev/chat.c already provides modem conversation routines.

I don't think that mixing dial-in and dial-out is required
for the first step. But it should be kept in mind.

Did you check
http://www.ethernut.de/en/nuttecnotes/ntn-1_ppp.html

At the end of the page you'll find a link to all relevant
RFCs. Most important are
RFC1332
RFC1570
RFC1661
RFC1662 (implemented in (dev/ahdlc.c)
RFC2484

I agree, that a few changes may be required to run PPP and
Ethernet concurrently and allow routing between them.

Special care has to be taken not to force PPP code being
linked to Ethernet-only applications.

Harald