[En-Nut-Discussion] The JianJian FAQ

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Thu Dec 16 16:43:29 CET 2004

OOOOuuuuuhhhhhh Deeeeeeaaaaarrrrr!
Now JianJian is unmasked again. :-)

Who is JianJian?

I'm not sure, but he seems to use different names in the Internet.
I recently received a few emails from someone who calls himself
XiaoMin from the Peking university. After I told him that I'd prefer
to get his email from a university account instead from anonymous
eyou.com and that I have the feeling, that he might be the same
person as JianJian, there was no more reply.

What's up anyway?

JianJian sent several hundred emails to me asking questions. Most of
them were duplicates though, as JianJian prefers to send each email
more than once. Anyway, he seemed to be a friendly guy. He offered
China made Ethernut clones, which is fully OK as long as he doesn't
claim, that they are produced by egnite and as long as he doesn't use
the Ethernut trademark.

What's wrong then?

A few months later I stumbled over one Chinese website, which offered
these boards including software. But I was unable to find any
copyright notice. I sent an email to JianJian, asking him, if his
customers will be informed about the origin of the software. He
answered (after some duplicates, now from my side), that he is
using lwIP. Again I asked for the copyright and posted a CC to
Adam Dunkels. We never received any answer.

What to do?

Nobody, even not JianJian, will be excluded from the free use of
Nut/OS, Ethernut hardware design or any other open source project
under our control. Anyway, if I ever got too much time and money,
I'd bring him to court. This guy fully misunderstood the concept and
thinks he is very smart and we, the contributors, are complete
idiots.

Any alternatives in China?

Recently the Ethernut is becoming quite popular in China.
For example, Jim Xuan distributes a very nice DIL module named
EIC365K, which is based on Ethernut 1.3.
http://www.unsp.com.cn/dvbbs/UploadFile/2004-8/200482685314679.gif
(Chinese people love animated gifs :-))
Some time ago we ordered five pieces. The base boards are very
simple but of good quality. The module itself is very nice.
I'm very sorry, that we didn't find the time yet to prepare
the required English documentation and offer it in Europe.

There is even a book about AVR and Nut/OS in China
http://www.fjmcu.com/
The author contacted us before and asked for permission, which
of course had been granted immediately.

Hope they will spoil JianJian's questionable business.

Harald