[En-Nut-Discussion] Supporting Other Target Platforms

Waschk,Kolja enut at ixo.de
Mon Feb 2 09:10:18 CET 2004

> wich compilers I should
> chose in the first place for ARM7TDMI, H8/300 or Coldfire. [...]
> Can anybody recommend any pre-build binaries for Win32?

http://www.OCDemon.com has GNU gcc 2.95.3+binutils+gdb/insight for ARM.

They're popular for their JTAG adapters. The "Wiggler" is the very basic one,
just level shifters on parallel port (cheapest ready made clone is ARM-JTAG
from Olimex, http://www.olimex.com ). The OCDemon "Raven" is the most basic one
with Linux host support (cheapest ready made clone is the Chameleon POD from
Amontec, http://www.amontec.com ).

Looking at ARM targets, I'd suggest to select a particular configuration
and document this selection for first steps. There are so many options, e.g.
little vs big endian memory, presence of MMU, FPU, ... Many of these options
have to be taken into account when configuring and building the toolchain.
For example, a lot of toolchains have a libc with floating point instructions
that wouldn't even disappear if you give the proper "no-fpu" compile options.

A reasonable configuration for an "ARM Ethernut" could be

  - ARM7 core (Architecture v4)
  - Thumb instructions available
  - MMU not available
  - FPU not available
  - little endian memory (seems to be more common)

Regards,
Kolja

--
mr. kolja waschk - haubach-39 - 22765 hh - ger
phone +49 40 889130-34 - fax -35 - e-mail s.a.