[En-Nut-Discussion] Supporting Other Target Platforms

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Mon Feb 2 12:03:53 CET 2004

Hi Nic,

At 11:32 02.02.2004 +1100, you wrote:

>I have scripts to build a arm-elf with newlib tool chain, they work under
>Linux
>and Cygwin.

I'd prefer MingW to avoid these DLL conflicts,
but Cygwin seems to be supported by default.

>If you do use a pre built binary make sure you know how it was built,
>otherwsie
>it can lead to hours of fustration.

While doing the first steps with arm-gcc, I was
hit by the fact, that I had to modify the linker
files to get the program compiled for a specific
ARM CPU. IMO, this is unacceptable for most
Nut/OS users.

>email me if you want the scripts, they are based on crosstool-0.25

Many thanks for your offer to help.

I can accept to build my own binaries, but I'll never
be able to support this for other users. Most Nut/OS
newbies will not distinguish between Nut related topics
and problems with their GCC build. If you look to
this mailing list's archives, many questions are related
to AVR chips, HTML/CGI problems or even the C language
in general. I'd like to keep the steps towards the
first running program as simple as possible. Today's
newbies are tomorrow's gurus, if they don't get
frustrated in the first five minutes.