[En-Nut-Discussion] Supporting Other Target Platforms

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Tue Feb 3 10:12:03 CET 2004

Hi Kolja,

At 23:38 02.02.2004 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
> > >http://www.OCDemon.com has GNU gcc 2.95.3+binutils+gdb/insight for ARM.
> > Isn't 2.95 a little bit outdated?
>
>In principle, yes. But unless you find a toolchain using 3.3 or 3.4 that isn't
>tagged "experimental", I'd recommend staying with 2.95.3. Especially if C++
>isn't needed but just C and assembler.

Good argument.

>I agree that something like a WinAVR package for ARM would be really nice.
>However, I'm quite sure it wouldn't be a "WinARM" but rather a "WinAT91" or
>"WinLPC2X":
>
>"ARM" just isn't a synonym for some well-defined platform like "AVR" is.

Right, and it would be no big deal to provide
one or more linker scripts or similar configs,
specifically designed for a few reference
platforms. As long as we do not force everyone
building a complete toolchain on Cygwin.

> > We selected the AT91R40008 for the first step.
> > [...]
> > internal RAM is the killer argument.
>
>Probably it is wise to restrict ARM support in Nut/OS to platforms/CPUs that
>have something like this in common: no need for Megabytes of RAM nor ROM.
> >From my point of view, Nut/OS can provide an environment with threads and
>TCP/IP for targets with small memory. Anyone who has a "bigger" target could
>use uClinux or eCos or KADAK or ...

My view as well. But there I received requests
for larger Xscale CPUs too. The idea is, that
they need a very fast CPU for a simple multimedia
application but don't want to handle a large OS.

But these are rare cases, I assume.

>Beside some Atmel CPUs, I'd like to see Philips LPC21xx supported. Yet they
>aren't available with external bus, but it is supposed to change soon. Even
>without external bus, having a TCP/IP stack can be useful with PPP etc...

Yes, Erik Lins also pointed me to these CPUs.

>on a ZyXEL router I happen to own (with Samsung S3C4510 CPU with ARM7TDMI).

:-) My family bought me a Gameboy Advanced as a
Christmas present. After SimCity became boring,
I'm wondering now, if I can get Nut/OS running on it.