[En-Nut-Discussion] Supporting Other Target Platforms

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Thu Feb 5 11:26:55 CET 2004

Ralph,

>An 8mb dram is only a couple of dollars, there is no way you will approach
>8mb ram and 512kb flash for $12 from atmel.  For another $3 you can add a
>couple mb more  flash.  There are 4 chip selects so it's nice and easy to
>connect a few items to the bus.

I'm afraid, that it's not that simple. As far as I
understood, the low cost thumbs are running with
32 bit access in internal memory only. Having Nut/OS
and the application in on-chip RAM is an advantage.

Another thing is, that total cost is also based on chip
count and PCB size.

On the other hand, external flash gives more flexibility.
It may contain the image _plus_ a file system.