[En-Nut-Discussion] Supporting Other Target Platforms

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Mon Feb 9 20:58:00 CET 2004

Hi Jean Pierre,

At 12:42 05.02.2004 +0100, you wrote:
>I am not sure that Nut/OS needs a great "CPU upsizing" today but it needs to
>become first more reliable before migrate!

Do I detect hidden critics here? :-)

Nut/OS will never be as reliable as larger systems,
which offer MMU and protected memory regions.
The cooperative threading adds additional traps.
That's why it's more difficult to write reliable
applications for Nut/OS compared to Linux.

>Other bigger OS are in place and could be a better choice for bigger CPUs to
>fill quickly 512K of Flash ;-).

For example, if you want to create an MP3 Ethernet player,
you can use hardware. If you want to add Ogg Vorbis,
you are lost (no idea, wether there are any hardware
de/encoders available in the meantime, just to give an
example).

So you need raw power, but no eCos, Linux or whatever.
Just something simple with a little bit TCP would do.
That's at least my motivation. I'd like to see my
GameBoy playing MPEG movies, which I transfered on it's
CompactFlash card via FTP.