[En-Nut-Discussion] IDE interface

Jesper Hansen jesperh at telia.com
Thu Feb 12 22:52:45 CET 2004

Looking at the Intersil documentation for the HFA3842 (used in D-Link
DCF-660 and Netgear MA701),  they state a max WAIT of 12.000 nS !!
In my port I/O based version, I've been using 6 nops (at 7.37 MHz), which
seems to be enough. A bit difficult to say for sure though, but I've transferred
a number of files forth and back without problems.

I tried using the XDIV, but that upset the UART so it got completely confused
and sent (and received) erroneous data. It would also upset any other timing
of course.

I find the port I/O solution quite okay. It uses about 18-20 cycles (2.6uS), which
is not too bad. But interrupts needs to be disabled as I'm disabling the external
memory interface during the card access.

My April's fool is working pretty well, although not exactly as shown ;-)
Just wait until you see this years version !!

/Jesper