[En-Nut-Discussion] Ethernut network configuration bug

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Fri Feb 27 12:53:24 CET 2004

Hi Pavel,

I do not fully agree. I'm aware that this race
condition exists, but I think you fixed it too
easily. Two reasons:

1. Many Ethernut users still do not have DHCP.

2. The race condition appears only, if you ping
a configured Ethernut, reset the Ethernut while
pinging and trying to assign a new IP address.
Otherwise the pinging host will send an ARP request
first.

Since the Ethernuts are equipped with ATmega128 chips
with retain-EEPROM fuse, the situation is better, but
we still have many users of ATMega103 Ethernuts.

I may accept to limit the ARP method to ATmega103
systems. Simply removing it for the rare condition
you described would leave others in the rain.
And I need to update the docs (which needs to be
done anyway, I know).

Nevertheless, DHCP should not fail. This is indeed
an issue.