[En-Nut-Discussion] Connecting a R/C servo on ethernut

Lars Andersson lakab at telia.com
Fri Jan 16 20:03:12 CET 2004

A R/C servo works like this. Everytime there is a positive pulse on
the signal line the servo measures the length of the pulse.
if the pulse is 1.5 ms the servo moves towards it's mid position if
it is not already there.
It will move if needed for every pulse that arrives. If no pulses
arrive, the servo will not move, but it will be "soft" and not
able to resist external force.

1 ms is one end, 1.5 ms is mid position and 2 ms is the other
end of travel.

Ground has to be common with ethernut as a reference for the
pulse signal.
Power is not very critical, 4.5 to 6 V is OK, the servo can
draw a lot of current when moving, especially big ones, 1 A
power supply capacity is OK for one small servo.

So you want to generate positive TTL pulses that are of varible
length 1 to 2 ms 10 to 20 times per second or so. The pulse
length is critical, the time between pulses is not critical.

Regards,
Lars H. Andersson