[En-Nut-Discussion] Problem with connection to Ethernut

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Thu Jan 22 11:37:13 CET 2004

>1. press reset button on the board.
>2. Immediately start to ping it, while it reboots and accesses DHCP server.

Not fully sure, but I think it was Bengan who discovered,
that Ethernut has problems when being pinged during the
start phase.

There are two things to be considered with ICMP ping:

1. The driver's receiver thread handles the ping.
The only decoupling is the transmit queue, where
the ping replies are passed to the driver's transmitter
thread.

2. Pings are also used by the ARP method of assigning
an IP address to the Ethernut.

What I can say from experience, that Ethernut seems to
need much more time for the DHCP query, if it is
concurrently pinged. But I do not have an idea right
now about the cause.