AW: [En-Nut-Discussion] Adding another 4K SRAM to ICC projects for FREE; )

Oliver Schulz olischulz at web.de
Sat Jan 24 13:38:42 CET 2004

Hi Brett,

I don't know exaclty what ICCAVR does with two stacks (SW and HW) but one
thing is for sure, NutOS uses its own stack handling. There is one stack for
each thread, which is allocated from available heap memory on thread
creation.

If ICCAVR really "forgets" SRAM if data+bss does not fit in it, perhaps this
can be a first try in nutinit:

#ifdef __ICCAVR__
   if ((u_short) __data_start__ > (u_short) RAMEND)
      NutHeapAdd((void *) 0x0100, 0xf00);
#endif
[Note: code not tested]

However, perhaps ICCAVR uses this area for something I don't know, so the
ICCAVR gurus are now asked..

In gcc the data section starts usually always at 0x100 with .data, .bss and
.noinit section. The remaining memory (starting from end of .noinit) is
added to available heap memory.

the avr-libc library initially sets the stack pointer (SP) to RAMEND, which
defines the end of INTERNAL ram. nutinit resets SP to end of EXTERNAL ram
(if available) to avoid overwriting .data or .bss sections while
initializing the system. After idle thread is started, NutOS is resposible
for stack handling and the the previous stack at end of xram is just added
to available heap mem.

Cheers,
Oliver.