[En-Nut-Discussion] Ethernut Docu Improvements

Matthias Ringwald mringwal at inf.ethz.ch
Thu Jan 29 10:10:47 CET 2004

Hi

I have some (I hope constructive) critics concerning the documentation
and the terminology of ethernut/os.

I tried to read/understand the inter-process communication
which is obviously done using "events" here.

reading the docs, for sending an "event", there's a function
that take an "queue" as a parameter.
But I could not find any docu, about what a queue exactly is
and how to create one.

reading the events.c file, I got the picture.

- the queue is a 16 bit counter and instead of sending
an event, the task(s) waiting on the "queue" is signaled.
- the "queue" turns out to be a semaphore.
- if a task waits on a semaphore ("queue") it is put into
a queue.

so, I would recommend:
replace "queue" by semaphore
replace "event" by signal
rename event.c to semaphore.c or signal.c
add a function createSemaphore (HANDLE semaphore) that just sets the
semaphore value to zero and people know how to start.

ok, I'm to duck to await YOUR critic.

a simple question: does anybody need or did implement messsage queues
or message passing?

matthias ringwald