AW: [En-Nut-Discussion] Problem with PPP and NutTCPConnect

Oliver Schulz Oliver.Schulz at bong.de
Fri Jan 30 12:59:06 CET 2004

Hi Harald,

> I read in ChangeLog, that Oliver reduced the
> the retry wait to 6 seconds. This is fine
> for local networks but may fail on the Internet.
I added the timeout for connecting at all, because there was no before.
I thought about the timeout time and found that 10secs (as in the suggestion from Alex & Dan) are really a long time, even for internet.
So I came to 6secs, which is in my opinion a good compromise.

But any comments or critics are welcome!

> IMHO, the final solution should be:
> Nut/Net TCP/IP doesn't support ICMP messages except
> echo requests. It ignores NOROUTE, for example.
> If this is implemented, connection timeouts will
> be reduced to machines, which are cut from the network.
> This can be solved then by adding the ability
> to optionally set the number of connection requests.

Good point. Perhaps I can look at it in next week.
But nevertheless even with improved ICMP support, we still need a timeout for all tcp states.

Regards,
Oliver.