[En-Nut-Discussion] changes in nicrtl driver

Adam Baran badam at zulu.gdynia.pl
Fri Jul 2 11:19:18 CEST 2004

> However, still I do not fully understand, why collisions appear.
> The original Ethernet coaxial cable obviously did not support full
> duplex. Twisted pair with separate transmit and receive lines
> offers this option. But even if the switch is in half duplex
> mode, there should be no collisions when Ethernut starts transmitting
> a packet while the switch is transmitting another. Of course the
> switch's hardware is able to detect this, but it doesn't make
> sense to me.

Communicating stations MUST follow media access protocol (CSMA/CD), they simply assume they have multiple peers on the ether.
The only way to tell them that they have ONLY ONE communicating peer on the link is administratively or by means of negotiation set the fullduplex mode, which switches off collision detection logic.

That's the way i understand this. No responsibility, liability etc..... :)

badam