[En-Nut-Discussion] Using gdb with NutOS... gdb print displays strange variable values

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Tue Jun 1 20:04:20 CEST 2004

Joe,

I'm also refering to your previous email regarding AVRStudio.

Right now I'd consider Nut/OS not debug-able using coff, neither
with GCC nor with ICC. objcopy even crashes here on the latest
Nut/OS code.

However, if you link Nut/OS without debugging information
to your application _with_ debugging information, you
should be able to debug your application code. Take a look at
http://www.ethernut.de/en/iccavr/index.html
ImageCraft/AVRStudio is used here. GCC/GDB should work too,
but I'm not experienced on this.

Michael Fischer told me some time ago, that Coff may get
confused by bit fields in structures. At least I can
confirm, that the problem is related to structures in
general. May be the compiler cannot handle

typedef _foo Foo;
struct _foo { Foo bar };

which is used at several places in the code.

Harald

P.S. How was the saying on the Paderborn University in those
days? "Real programmers just need a card puncher and a FORTRAN
compiler." :-)