[En-Nut-Discussion] Banked memory question

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Tue Jun 8 09:41:45 CEST 2004

Alexander,

you cannot extend heap memory with banked pages.

The problem is, that the compiler is not aware
of banking. If you got

   char *ptr = (char *)0x9000;

then

   *ptr = 'A';

will create code, that simply stores 'A' at address
0x9000 without taking care which bank is currently
visible.

However, you can use banked RAM for any kind of
storage if you do not access the buffer directly
but through routines. Similar like you would use
external devices like hard disks, compact flash cards
etc.

Harald