[En-Nut-Discussion] Re: [En-Nut-Announce] Version 3.4.2 Available

Rick Collins ethernut at arius.com
Tue Mar 9 13:28:59 CET 2004

At 06:04 AM 3/9/2004, you wrote:

> > >What was the descision for the ARM processor that
> > >you are using ? Did you settle on the Atmel range ?
> >
> > Yes, I chose the AT92R40008.
> >

>For a later day, when the time is there, the new ARM-7 based
>Philips LPC210x series would be a VERY interesting chip
>to port to.

Maybe I just have ARM envy, but it is driving me crazy (a short trip) that
everyone on the planet seems to be talking about the Philips ARM MCUs and
no one has even noticed the OKI chips.  The Philips LPC210x chips are very
limited with no external bus and would be very difficult to connect to
anything that requires a high bandwidth.  So far, that is all Philips has
produced, busless chips.  The LPC22xx chips will have an external bus, but
are not even sampling yet.

On the other hand, OKI has been making the ML67Q400x and ML67Q500x chips
for months.  These two families are nearly identical with up to 512 kB of
Flash, 32kB of SRAM and lots of peripherals such as 2 UARTs, SPI, I2C, PWM,
ADC, DMA, GPIO, etc...  PLUS they have an external 16 bit bus for memory or
IO expansion.  The 400x runs at up to 33 MHz and the 500x runs at up to 60
MHz.  They need 144 pins to support all that IO and bus, so they come in
144 LQFP and 144 BGA (11 mm sq).

They are cheap too.  I have been quoted prices from $6 to $10.  Add a $5
SDRAM chip and you have a system to run any embedded OS you can think of
including uCLinux.  Using the internal SRAM you can easily run nearly any
normal embedded OS.  Did I mention that the 500x version has 8 kB of cache?

OKI has told me that they will be introducing a new version with builtin
10/100 Enet MAC soon and one with USB 2.0.

Rick Collins