[En-Nut-Discussion] Re: RE: Full Duplex operation

Damian Slee damian at commtech.com.au
Tue Mar 16 05:43:54 CET 2004

I think the reliable solution is getting the ethernut 8019 in half
duplex, so manual intervention isn't required on the switch to force it
full duplex (if you have a managed switch in the first place).  Given
the low data throughput anyway in our solution, reliability is more
important.  Plus the new rt8019 driver has less tx code over head
anyway, so some speed has been gained back there.

I did something similar with a cross over cable to a PC.  Several weeks
ago I noticed the Tx packet loss, even on a cross over cable.  I then
this morning forced my PC nic to full duplex 10MB (same as ethernut),
and most of the packet loss goes away.

So to be compatible with 99% of switches out there (and hubs), I say
half duplex is the way to go with the 8019.  Cause forcing full duplex
on your managed switch, is not something we can put in our manual, or
place on the user to do.

Stephen, did you have any luck simulating the 9346?
I tried my own solution yesterday with just clk and dataout.  The rabbit
solution requires datain as well.
I tried looking at the clk bit in the realtek page3 9346 register so I
wouldn't need a separate pin on the processor.  Didn't work on first
try.

damian