[En-Nut-Discussion] Hardware Failure

Long Bradley-G15527 Brad.Long at motorola.com
Mon Mar 29 17:01:08 CEST 2004

Let me start by saying I'm a software engineer and do not have much EE experience.  I just received an Ethernut V1.3 development kit last week and read in the manual that it can be powered with an unregulated  8-16V supply.  All I had around at the time I received the board was a Class 2 16V DC transformer.  I was not able to get the board to work using it.  I then decided to use an HP power supply set to 12V, but it is still not working.  I hope I did not damage the board by using the 16V supply.  I noticed in the back of the Hardware manual the power connector on the board layout is labeled 9-12V!  Was there a typo made at the beginning of the manual that stated the board can accept 8 to 16V or is there a typo on the connector in the back?

After further evaluation using an oscilloscope I'm noticing that one side of the 20 Mhz oscillator is not outputting a sinusoidal wave on the C3 side, it is noise.  The other side (C4 side) is outputting the wave correctly and the Atmel 14.75 Mhz oscillator also appears to be working.  The Red and Yellow LEDs illuminate on power-up and stay illuminated.  I'm thinking the Atmel is up and running but the Ethernet controller is not responding so it is going into some kind of fault state.  Maybe the 20 Mhz oscillator is bad and needs to be replaced.

Will I be able to have this board replaced or fixed by a qualified egnite technician?

Regards,

Brad Long