[En-Nut-Discussion] Software UART anyone?

Erik Lins erik at lins.de
Wed Mar 31 15:10:13 CEST 2004

Hi!

> are too long for software uart. I measured this
> and I think the max theoretical bps was 4800.
> Then we gave up and we use a CPLD for this.

if an additional uart is the only thing needed additionally, it could
be worth looking at some low-cost AVR controller, like the ATtiny2313
(it's got a real USART!). It could be attached via I2C to the main
controller and act like an I2C<->USART bridge. Since the slave
controller has no Nut/OS stuff to do, additional software uart(s) could
be performed.

Cheers,
ER!K

---