[En-Nut-Discussion] usartavr driver problem/bug

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Mon Nov 8 21:45:58 CET 2004

Matthias,

this is indeed a serious problem, not only for your application.
Same as the RS232 interference caused by the toggling of the
reset line during programming. This can drive you crazy if
a picky equipment like an ATM (teller machine) is attached.

Leaving the transmitter enabled after making sure that all
characters had been sent should work.

>hm.. looking a bit more, I wonder if the usart functionality is ever disabled.
>I see that it is implicitly activated by the setspeed call. But the
>AvrUsartDisable
>function is never called from an higher layer. What about disabling the usart
>on usart:close() ?

Sorry, but this makes no sense to me. Right now
AvrUsartDisable() is called from five places.

Disabling the UART on close may work now. But
it is not clean really. AvrUsartDeinit() is the
right place, IMHO. But this is not used due to
the lack of NutDeregisterDevice().