[En-Nut-Discussion] Ethernut programming problem

Pete Allinson pete at peteallinson.plus.com
Wed Nov 10 16:35:00 CET 2004

Hi,

I have an Ethernut 2.1 rev B starter kit, and I'm using WinAVR on a Windows 2000 SP4 platform.

Yesterday (when I started 'playing' with the Ethernut) everything was fine for a while.  I was successfully building the sample programs and uploading them using uisp:
    uisp -dprog=stk500 -dserial=com1 -dspeed=115200 -dpart=atmega128 --erase --upload if=basemon.hex

Then things started to go wrong.  The red/green pulsating LED on the programmer would revert to solid green after only 2~3 seconds, when I was expecting a programming time more like 10 seconds.  And the uisp program appeared to hang.

So I tried avrdude:
    avrdude -c stk500 -p m128 -P com1 -v -U flash:w:basemon.hex

Sometime this works, usually it doesn't.  When it doesn't work it usually hangs somewhere in the 'Writing', according to the debug progress bar, anywhere between 3% and 93%.

I don't know if it's relevant, but avrdude also reports the following in the debug output:
    avrdude: stk500_getparm(): parameter 0x84 failed
    avrdude: stk500_getparm(): parameter 0x85 failed

uisp version is 20030827cvs
avrdude version is 4.2.0

Anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?

Regards
Pete Allinson