[En-Nut-Discussion] LCD driver

chromy at asix.cz chromy at asix.cz
Sat Nov 13 11:21:21 CET 2004

> I have LCD 4line x 20 characters,HD44780 compatible.
> How should be configured in NutOs?
> Do I need change some files?

Hi George

Unfortunately the LCD driver included in NutOs is not generic enough for
this so you definitely have to modify it.

Though the driver is layered to separate hardware dependent stuff from VT
terminal emulation, the lower layer is not designed to support
LCD modules which have the same communication interface but different
arangement of lines in the display buffer (cursor positioning routines
being the main problem).

I have my own generic driver for this display family featuring VT52
emulation, which is older than the one included in NutOS.
I wanted to propose modifications to NutOS driver to support generic LCD
devices of this kind, but I have not found the time to do this yet.

The modification would involve
lower layer:
- generic display positioning (for different display sizes)
- virtualizing of write data/command (to support custom pin arrangement)
upper layer:
- just some escape sequences I found usefull

If you are (or someone else is) willing to help with this, please contact
me by email.

Pavel