AW: [En-Nut-Discussion] Coldfire?

Robert Hildebrand robert.hildebrand at ims.fraunhofer.de
Thu Nov 18 08:58:45 CET 2004

Hi Jay,

I planned to port Nut/OS to Coldfire 5282 with a student. After some OS
independent tests (GCC with Cygwin and Windows, minimal programs without OS,
but with interrupts and OpenTCP) i am not sure how to proceed. There are
several possible next steps : (1)porting Nut/OS with Nut/Net, (2)porting
Nut/OS and combine it with OpenTCP, (3)porting another OS with OpenTCP or
(4) stop porting and using something available like uCLinux.

(4) works quite well, I used a development kit from ssv-embedded for
windows, no porting needed, but you always need external memory for your
system. Using the 5272 this is no drawback, but the 5282 has internal
memory(64kB ram, 512 kB flash), so a single chip solution is possible and
leeds to very nice layouts.
(3) is done at the moment, because it seems to require the least amount of
work. My student chose FreeRTOS, but I don't have any experience with it yet
(2) should be no great problem, because OpenTCP is ready. This was my first
idea, it depends on how good (2) will work. The basic work for (2) and (3)
is similar.
I like (1) more than (2), because I am used to the Nut/NET api more than to
the OpenTCP

So if you want to save me from drifting to OpenTCP and FreeRTOS, I can offer
you some infos about Coldfire and the Coldfire GCC environment.

Robert

--
Dipl.-Ing. Robert Hildebrand

Fraunhofer-IMS