[En-Nut-Discussion] TCPIP and DNS configuration

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Fri Oct 1 10:56:36 CEST 2004

Thorsten,

At 22:27 30.09.2004 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I just tried to understand how Ethernut initializes it's IP Stack. I need
>this for creating a configuration tool for the user interface via serial or
>telnet.
>
>I think TCPIP configuration is clear. It tries DHCP if there is no static IP
>defined. I can read the current adress, subnet and so on from the confnet
>structure. So if I want to change some parameters and store them with
>NutSaveSettings. If there is neither a fixed nor a DHCP IP adress it waits
>for an ICMP packet. Is there some timeout for that?

There is no timeout for the ARP/ICMP method. Note,
that there are two IP addresses in the configuration.
Check
http://www.ethernut.de/pdf/enswm20e.pdf

>But as I understand this mechanism only includes MAC Adress, IP-Adr,
>Subnetmask and Default gateway. It does not include DNS parameters like
>hostname, domain and DNS server IP. I can set this with NutDNSConfig2. But
>is not stored to the EEPROM. Do I have to save it to EEPROM on my own or is
>there a function for that.

Mmmhh...no idea right now. But NutNetSaveConfig() is a
good idea anyway.

Regarding your questions about host naming and FQDN I
must admit, that I'm not sure about this stuff either.
Sometimes this is indeed confusing. May be someone else
is able to help?