[En-Nut-Discussion] TCPIP and DNS configuration

Harald Kipp harald.kipp at egnite.de
Sun Oct 3 11:07:55 CEST 2004

Thorsten,

At 18:24 01.10.2004 +0200, you wrote:
> > There is no timeout for the ARP/ICMP method. Note,
> > that there are two IP addresses in the configuration.
> > Check
> > http://www.ethernut.de/pdf/enswm20e.pdf
>I read that but hoped I missed something.
>
> > Mmmhh...no idea right now. But NutNetSaveConfig() is a
> > good idea anyway.
>You mean it would be a good idea to put the DNS save into that function? Is
>the net config structure described in the software manual the only thing
>which is in the EEPROM from Nut/OS. So I can read the size of that structure
>and put my config settings above that area?

No, I meant you should set the net config structure and call
NutSaveConfig to save it in EEPROM. Items, which are not part
of this structure should be stored at EEPROM location 512 and
above.

>Another question: How can I get the current DNS hostname and domain and DNS
>IP adress? Ok, I set it on my own, but I don't want to hold a copy of it.

The DHCP client is quite minimalistic and doesn't check for
the DNS names for example. I'd create my own DHCP client in
this case and store this information in EEPROM.

It won't be a good idea to enhance the standard DHCP with all
known options. This would increase the code with functions most
people will never need.

The optimum would be a callback function, registered by the
application and called by the DHCP client on each option.

>And how can I get the DNS Server IP from the DHCP server?

Have a look into
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2132.html

Harald