AW: [En-Nut-Discussion] Sending broadcasts (WOL)

Oliver Schulz olischulz at web.de
Sun Oct 10 17:32:03 CEST 2004

Hi Thorsten,

> > Try broadcast address 255.255.255.255 or 0xFFFFFFFF.
> That works, but then I broadcast to the whole network. Why

Well, it is an broadcast to the local network (LAN). Usually any connected
routers won't forward this packets.
Using the address 192.168.100.255 on your local LAN (192.168.100.0/24)
doesn't make a difference.

The benefit for using directed broadcasts is, that some routers forward
these packets. So you can put a broadcast packet via any connected router to
a different network.

Nevertheless, Nut/OS should detect the directed broadcast address for the
local network and shouldn't send any ARPs...
I will have a look to it...

Regards,
Oliver.