[En-Nut-Discussion] DHCP problems

viktor.kaznov at rotundus.se viktor.kaznov at rotundus.se
Thu Sep 16 11:28:04 CEST 2004

Hi,

This problem may be already solved since I am using ethernut v3.4.2, but I can’t just upgrade because the program is already in the customer system and I have to find the way to patch it without any major changes.

Set up:
Ethernut <-> DHCP server.

Problem:
After reboot the program gets its network configuration using
NutDhcpIfConfig ("eth0", my_mac, 0);
and everything works just fine until the DHCP server admin changes the IP address for this MAC to a new one.

For example:
After reboot
00:0c:30:d4:86:4e gets 192.168.250.10
After some time the DHCP server changes the IP address for
00:0c:30:d4:86:4e to 192.168.250.88.
After that the Ethernut sends DHCPREQUEST packets to the server but does not see or does not accept the offers. I have checked with Ethereal and OFFER packets _do_ reach the Ethernut. If Ethernut is rebooted it accepts the new IP address and everything is just fine until the next change in the DHCP server configuration. The problem is that it’s impossible to restart the system every time there are some changes on the network.

What do you think can be the problem?

I am very thankful for any help, advice or idea.

Regards,
Viktor