[En-Nut-Discussion] UART: Broken output buffers with RTS/CTS handshake

Matthias Ringwald mringwal at inf.ethz.ch
Tue Sep 21 12:25:10 CEST 2004

Hi Ole

>> getting the external memory and/or reducing the bss/data sections
>> helped.
>
> Hmmm I have plenty of memory available... There are 32K installed and
> about 20 are still available for user code. So this should'nt be the
> problem?

here you 'might' be wrong. using the std nut/os distribution of let's
say cvs 3.5, the default build system didn't touch the linker settings
to allow the .bss and .data section to extend the 4K internal memory.
I don't know what the linker is doing in such a case.
and somebody might correct me if I'm wrong here.

The main reason for .data blowing up is using printf("asf..") instead
of printf_P(PSTR("asdf...") as the format string is copied from ROM into
RAM before the application starts up.

matthias