[En-Nut-Discussion] Forward of moderated message: AT90CAN128

Henrik Maier hmlists at focus-sw.com
Fri Apr 1 22:48:19 CEST 2005

Hello Roberto,

First question:

The Nut/OS port to the AT90CAN128 chip has come to a sudden stop a week
ago when we discovered stability problems. I am still investigating the
exact cause of the issue but can conclude:

- The issue relates to using the AT90CAN128 instead of ATmega128 on the
same hardware.
- We tested different boards, our own industrialised XNUT-100 board and
an Ethernut 1.3f board reworked with a AT90CAN128 CPU.
- The issue relates to external RAM
- The issue does not relate to the tool chain or Nut/OS version. I
tested WinAVR 2004 and the latest WinAVR 2005 as well as Imagecraft with
3.4.2, 3.9.1 and CVS head of Nut/OS.
- Our current believe is that the issue relates to stack operations
(push/pop) in external RAM. Normal load/store operation seem to be ok.
But this needs further investigation to be confirmed.

Simple programs, basemon's tests and in particular it's RAM test, all
work fine as long as the threads are allocated in internal memory. Once
threads are allocated in external memory then the system will crash
after a short period of operation.

At this stage the combination of Nut/OS, Ethernut compatible hardware
and the AT90CAN128 CPU cannot be considered to run stable. At least not
on my lab bench.

The issue might not even relate to Nut/OS itself but to the CPU core or
the CPU requiring a different XRAM interface.

Second question:

I am sure that there will be several vendors offering AT90CAN128 boards
in the future, one of them is the company I am working for. A plain
Ethernut board would not be sufficient as you need a CAN transceiver
chip on board as well.

Regards

Henrik
--