[En-Nut-Discussion] Ethernut Microchip PIC port

Henrik Maier hmlists at focus-sw.com
Tue Apr 12 00:00:02 CEST 2005

Ake Hedman wrote:

> is there a port (or something on the way) of EtherNut to the Microchip
> PIC platform.

 From my point of view the PIC18 architecture is too limited to be used
for an advanced OS as Nut/OS is. The PIC18 supports only up to 4 KB of
RAM and this RAM can't even be used continuously, it has to be used in
banks of a maximum of 256 bytes (16 banks max.), at least when you
allocate statically. The other limitation is the program counter stack.
PC stack cannot be allocated in RAM but must be in a special stack space
of only 32 stack locations. Nut/OS is using dynamic memory to allocate
stack space for the threads it's running and is using stack plentifully
and deep. With interrupts and context switching I am sure a 32 location
deep stack will overrun quickly.

Cheers,

Henrik

--