[En-Nut-Discussion] Virtual COM ports for PC's, emulating TCPIP or better yet, source code

Brett Abbott Brett.Abbott at digital-telemetry.com
Tue Apr 12 01:58:14 CEST 2005

Hi

Has anyone got experience or information with any products that emulate
a PC's COM port and initiate an outgoing TCP/telnet like session?

The objective here is to allow existing application software with COM
port connectivity connect to a named IP address without having to change
the application.

Ideally such a product would provide the COM Port interface so we could
develop our own PC based interface to negotiate security and special
protocols - but initially, a simple outbound TCP stream to a named
IP/port would be excellent.  Code snippets welcome....  Ideally I'd like
to place my JTAG in another room from my PC and talk to it via an
ethenut/serial link but the opportunities for client connectivity abound.

Many Thanks
Brett

Brett Abbott, Managing Director, Digital Telemetry Limited
Email: Brett.Abbott at digital-telemetry.com
PO Box 24 036 Manners Street, Wellington, New Zealand
Phone +64 (4) 5666-860  Mobile +64 (21) 656-144
------------------- Commercial in confidence --------------------