[En-Nut-Discussion] Still confusion about IP setup

Christian.Schilmoeller at camco.de Christian.Schilmoeller at camco.de
Tue Dec 6 17:48:34 CET 2005

OK, concerning the ARP setup method I found out by myself that recent
Nut/OS versions still support it if the board is booted with empty EEPROM.
It has nothing to do with NutDhcpIfConfig(), cause it still works if the
processor is behind that initial setup function.
It seems to be implemented in the network stack, I think file net/ipin.c,
line 208.
But I do not quite understand the reason for this setup possibility,
because if the EEPROM reads all return 0xFF, the hardware MAC address is
invalid, too!
Maybe it's better not to rely on the EEPROM for the MAC setup only, but
also to include a solution that sets the MAC to a fixed, reasonable value
from within program space ......

Regards,

Christian